Taking a Coach Approach
A Conversation for Change
Coaching Skills for Recovery Peer Professionals, Counselors and Clinicians
(OASAS and NYCB Training Hours Approval is Pending)
"I've been in recovery 34 years. I have an MBA and a LMSW. I’m also a trainer, and it’s refreshing and inspiring to participate with a group facilitated by two professionals who combine expertise with a genuine sense of mission.This was a very welcome and engaging learning environment."
- Will R, Trainer, Research Foundation of SUNY
The International Coach Federation defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential. Coming from a strength base and client centered perspective, coaching honors the individual in recovery/family member as the expert in his/her own life and believes that every individual is creative, resourceful, whole and fundamentally brilliant about their own lives. Coaching addresses the entire person, challenging them to expand their definition of recovery while focusing on the “gap” between the quality and scope of their recovery today and where they would like their recovery to be tomorrow.
In this 6 hour workshop, Participants will have the opportunity to engaging in and practice using evidence based coaching strategies and tools relevant to their work with substance use disorder some of which include:
- The use of both powerful questions and empathic reflections
- Using both a coaching plan and coaching contract
- Being "in the inquiry" vs. being "in the answer"
- Moving away from a focus on “helper as the expert” to the role of coach who facilitates an inquiry based and action oriented process based on viewing their client as a resource.
- Practice with several established coaching tools
Your facilitators, Lori Drescher and Keith Greer, possess more than 30 combined years of professional coaching experience with individuals, families, organizations and businesses. Today, as Recovery Coaches and Certified Recovery Coach Trainers, they apply their energy, skill and experience with coaching to working with individuals and families in recovery from Substance Use Disorder as well as training colleagues who are passionate about enhancing their skills as helping professionals.
1 Day ( 6 Hrs.)
- Rochester: June 29, 2018
Time: 9 - 4:30 pm
Cost: $195 /person
Hours: 6 (1 day)
Rochester Location: ArtisanWorks, Gallery Q; 565 Blossom Road, Rochester, NY 14610
Buffalo Location: Save the Michaels House of Hope, 737 Delaware Ave; Buffalo, 14209
Fee: Includes materials, certificate, and AM/PM snack; lunch is on your own.
PAYMENT IN FULL IS DUE IMMEDIATELY, please mail payment to:
22 Upton Park
Rochester, NY 14607
Or pay via PayPal - see registration form.
Your registration is guaranteed/confirmed once payment is received. Thank you!
Workshop Topics Included in the 30-hour RCA Program
- Recovery - Core Values & Principles
- Spectrum of Attitudes
- Recovery Coach 'Lane' vs. Counselor & Sponsor
- Motivational Interviewing
- Stigmas & Labels
- Story & Issues of Self Disclosure
- Stages of Recovery
- Pathways of Recovery
- Stages of Change
- Culture & Culture Competence
- Power & Privilege
- Recovery Capital - Resource Development
- Spirituality vs. Religion
- Ethics & Boundaries
- Wellness Planning